Friday, August 23, 2013

The Path of Tea - A Place of Refuge

...And My Time With Jennifer Gabiola
of Dawning Soul


In 2006 when I moved back to Houston, I decided I was going to embark upon the journey of finding myself a favorite little tea house here in town where I could do my writing, reflecting and artistic work. That search led me to a number of places in town, but it came to a screeching halt when my feet landed at the place called The Path of Tea.


When I first walked through the door I thought I had accidentally stumbled into a spa somehow. It was quiet and airy, with soothing music playing and smells that I cannot even begin to describe. I literally stood there for about two minutes and looked around. 


And what was I thinking? I found it! My haven. And today I want to share it with you. That's right, YOU. It's not only a place where you can go for great organic tea, but it's a place where you can go for a respite; to replenish; to work; to think; to explore the wide world of tea; to simple BE.


Day after day, week after week, and month after month I would inundate myself with this place. I wrote; I reflected; and I worked on artistic projects, just like I had planned. I explored ideas; poured out my thoughts; pondered my purpose; shed old skin; and just sat with myself. I spent time talking to the owner, Thia McCann on occasion (God rest her beautiful soul), and I met countless interesting, eclectic and soulful people from every walk of life. This place became my refuge.


The beauty of this new found dream of a space, was that I could simultaneously learn about and enjoy tea; something I always wanted to do. Approximately 138 different kinds of tea sat on a table for me to stare at in awe; to sniff; and to belabor. Did I mention that I suck at making decisions when I have a ton of options? It’s the strangest thing. I am one of the most decisive people I have ever met, yet when presented with too many options I flounder like a fish out of water.


To make matters worse there is this beautiful red wall full of unique and artistic mugs where you go to pick the cup in which you want to enjoy your tea. Are you serious??? This little luxury is artist heaven for me, but by now I’m stressed! It's just too much. But man am I as happy as a kid in a candy store! My senses were doing a tango I didn't realize I had been missing.


So after a long and agonizing hiatus from my sacred refuge, today was the day I met up with one of the most beautiful souls at my little tea haven. Annnnnnnd, I let my favorite server, Mary, pick my mug for me. I was in one of those moods to allow as many synchronicities as possible enter my world. Being very picky about these kinds of things (I think that’s the artist in me) I was actually a little excited to see what kind of mug she chose for me. 


So there it is. A teeny tiny white little dainty something. I never choose flowers, but today I received them.


Jennifer Gabiola is the founder, Poet, Designer and Inspirational Teacher of Dawning Soul . Isn't she beautiful? We met back in April and had made plans to one day reconnect. Today was that day. In our time together we shared the most intimate and vulnerable aspects of our stories that we possibly could. We contextualized our experiences backwards and forwards, giving them meaning, purpose, and legacy power. My spirit smiled as she spoke and shared and allowed herself to just BE with me. It was therapeutic for me to have a place and space in time with a kindred spirit, to pour out a little bit of where I am right now in this very unique moment in my life.


Jennifer had the jubilee cookie. I had the allergy free muffin I brought from home. Yes, we allergy mamas always have a stash in our bag and as long as there is no food detector we are just fine ;-). For her, Mary selected the blue and white striped cylinder shaped cup. I forgot to ask Jennifer how she felt about that choice.


I told Mary that today I needed rejuvenating (it’s been a horrible allergy week for Little Ninja and mama has gotten NO sleep). Jennifer and I both wanted to do something new so we shared a large pot of the Organic Coconut Oolong Tea. It smelled like heaven and it didn’t hurt that we are both coconut fiends.


One of the most impressive things about The Path of Tea is, as it boasts, it is “Houston’s ONLY totally organic tea house and online tea store.” I know, wow, right!? Here in our own back yard.


Don’t you just love the lady in the yellow hat in the background? I chuckle whenever I look at her. She couldn’t take her eyes off of me and my camera from the time I started snapping to the time I left, LOL.

For my allergy mamas who are breast-feeding this is definitely a place for you. It's a refuge in stressful times, when you have but a moment to steal away from that beautiful baby. It is a place where you can get rejuvenated. And it is totally organic with over 135 options that include many for the breast-feeding mom to choose from.


Please do yourself a favor and go by. You won’t regret it. And please check out the Dawning Soul website. You will be amazed and inspired by Jennifer and her work. 

Have you ever been to The Path of Tea? If so, what was your experience like? If not, are you tempted to go??? I'm confident you will. Please report back when you do J.

No comments:

Post a Comment